The Charterhouse of Gaggiano, situated in the district of Vigano Certosino, is an ancient monastic settlement (whereas historical documents describe it as a castle), which used to belong to the charterhouse Certosa di Pavia. It was in the hands of the Certosini order until 1769 (who received considerable lands in the 15th century from Gian Galeazzo Visconti) and they used it as their residence or communal housing. The building which is still standing retains traces of paintings from various periods. The little oratory of Sant’Ippolito to which it is connected has large 16th century frescoes by Aurelio Luigi, and the chapter house has a vaulted ceiling decorated with granite columns. The house is now under the management of the Mambre Association.