Casa del Custode delle Acque
The “House of the Water Guard” has been on the Adda for almost five centuries now and was also made famous in the works of Leonardo da Vinci. First mentioned in 1542, the building was then known as the “Casa regia”. It is a sort of station where merchants stopped to pay the customs duty set by local governors and the “camparo” looked after the waterway that connected the Adda with the Naviglio. A number of artists have stayed there over the centuries, the likes of Bernardo Bellotto, an 18th century painter and engraver, and Gaspar Van Wittel, a Dutch painter of the same period. The building is now home to an extremely active cultural social club.