Utente non Registrato


Church of San Gervasio e Protasio


This church, of which there is mention as far back as 1414, has undergone radical and repeated restorations which have changed its original appearance. The most obvious changes are due to work carried out by Gaetano Moretti (early 20th century) and this gave the church its present structure. The architect interpreted the Canons of Lombard art according to the Neo-medieval tastes of the time, adding completely new elements to the sober lines of the original building (using brick and blocks, pointed arches in the windows and a central rose). The interior is laid out like a basilica and faces east. The oldest part, the Chapel of the Crucifix, is actually intact, and has a fresco from 1362. There is also a medieval statue here of San Benedetto (12th-13th century). The main altar is from the 18th century with inlay of polychrome marble. The 16th century fresco in the apse (Ascension and Descent of the Holy Spirit) has been attributed by recent research to the school of Bernardino Luini. In the Chapel of the Sacred Heart there is still the ancient wooden cross used to display the relic of the Holy Nail (now in the Duomo of Milan) which was carried through the streets of the town in procession by San Carlo during the plague of 1576.

p.zza Nazionale, 10 - Trezzo sull'Adda