Church of Sant Ambrogio
The original nucleus dates back to between the 11th and 12th century when part of the farmlands of the area belonged to the Basilica of Sant’Ambrogio in Milan. Later extensions included the belfry (1582) designed by Martino Bassi; inside the church there is a Madonna and Child, attributed to Bernardino Luini and a Madonna of the Rosary from the 15th century. The church has associations with two famous historical figures: San Carlo Borromeo and Bernardino Luini. On an evening in early November 1584 Carlo Borromeo, Cardinal of Milan, was taken from Abbiategrasso to Milan along the canal suffering from a fever. At Trezzano he told them to moor the boat, then he got off and went to the church of Sant’Ambrogio to say a prayer in front of the Madonna by Bernardino Luini. He then continued on to Milan where he died on 4th November 1584. On 6th March 1954, Blessed Cardinal Schuster declared the church of Sant’Ambrogio a Marian Sanctuary, and invited the faithful to come and pray at Luini’s fresco, declaring the Madonna to be Patroness of the Milanese plains and a miraculous effigy.