(ex) Church of Santa Maria in Brera
This church was built in 1777 to replace an older 13th century church that used to be about fifty metres north of here and which, in the 18th century, was incorporated into a farmhouse demolished in 1997. The term Brera or Braida is of Lombard origin and means “plains” or “flatland” and over time came to mean a field, a dry meadow near a settlement. The church has weathered many a storm but is no longer a place of worship. However it has been chosen within the framework of a project of the Ecoistituto della Valle del Ticino to become a space for cultural activities. It will once again become a public space and be used by the citizens and associations. There are also plans to use it as a documentary centre for emigration and contemporary history.