Linificio Canapificio Nazionale Flax Mill Hemp Mill
The Linificio Canapificio Nazionale bears witness to the times when the waterways at Cassano lost their defensive role and became a resource for generating electricity. The power station was opened in 1927 to power the flax mill using the water of the Muzza, the irrigation channel dug in 1230 which branches off from the Adda at Cassano. The flax mill was originally intended just for spinning but it was expanded for weaving and bleaching linen and hemp. In reality, the site was occupied by a textile mill until 1873, when LCN, the company which already had a factory in Fara Gera d’Adda, bought the buildings and reorganised the factory in line with the English model. They redesigned the machinery and by the end of the 19th century had turned the mill into one of the largest flax mills in Europe. Along the roadside beside the factory is the sober edifice of the Workers’ Quarters, the Convitto Operaio, built in 1907. The factory closed down in 1994.