Teatro Lirico or Opera House
The idea for the Teatro Sociale Lirico Drammatico arose when certain members of the “Società 4 giugno 1859″ purchased a piece of land from Cav. Luigi Cassola on what was then known as Corso Vittoria in Magenta. The ceiling is decorated with a great fresco by Giacomo Campi which shows the visit of Arrigo VII to Magenta (a true historic event which took place in 1310 – in the painting we can see the modern day belfry of the church of Santa Maria Assunta), above which there is a harmonious composition of clouds, cherubs, poets and an exaltation of theatre and associated art forms. There is also a depiction of the church of Santa Maria Assunta, Dante Alighieri, Virgilio and a puppet theatre named after Giuseppe Verdi. The theatre was recently restored in 2004 on the occasion of the centenary of its inauguration and returned to its original splendour with a calendar of a theatre events to be held each year with concerts, operas, operettas and variety shows.