Villa Melzi d’Eril
The villa with its terraced gardens overlooks the River Adda. Its present appearance is the result of a series of renovations in 1845 but it was already in existence in the 15th century and was expanded in the 17th century. It was originally commissioned by Giovanni Melzi, who came from a noble Milanese family and used materials from the ruins of a castle on the site. The villa was home to Leonardo da Vinci between 1506 and 1507 and again from 1510 to 1513. He left many notes and works including, it is believed, a great fresco on the top floor of a Madonna with Child (there is also a theory that it was frescoed by Francesco Melzi on a drawing by Leonardo). It is now private property.