Wooden wheel “El Rudun”
Commissioned by Carlo Borromeo in 1618, the “rudun”(big wheel), with its diameter of 11 metres, composed of 8 paddles, brought water to road level for the irrigation of the orchards and gardens of the Archbishop’s Villa as well as feeding the washhouses for the laundry. The wheel we see today was reconstructed in 1989. The bridge is Neo-gothic in style with wooden rusticated masonry on the upstream side and pointed arches on the downstream side. The old washhouses are still visible beside the bridge.