The Boffalora ferryboat
Let’s go back a hundred years to when the “barchett“ or courier boats plied the waters of the Naviglio Grande, leaving from Abbiategrasso, Boffalora, Gaggiano and Turbigo and transported passengers and correspondence to the Darsena dock in Milan.
The service ended in 1913. One of these “barchett”, the one from Boffalora, was immortalised in a play by Cletto Arrighi written in 1870, “El barchett de Boffalora”, which ran for over a thousand performances.
On 23rd June of the centenary of its final voyage, the city of Milan commemorated the ferry by putting it back in the waters of the Naviglio Grande. In collaboration with Navigli Lombardi, the Historical Association “La Piarda” staged a historical reenactment to recall the role once played by the Navigli in the life of the canal bank communities.